Wednesday 11 May 2011

The Villagers and Michelle Stoddart at the riverside, 10th May 2011 newcastle

The Villagers featuring support from Michelle Stoddart (From The Magic Numbers fame) at the Riverside, Newcastle, 10th of May 2011.



We were well and truly caught on camera at The Villagers gig yesterday. I obtained a handful of pictures. (mostly of the three of us) I had to do it the 'naughty way' due to the fact they have restrictions on them. However, they are purely for personal use and I will say that they are a mere few from many, MANY excellent and well covered shots from the Jazzy Lemon lady, both of The Villagers performance and Michelle Stoddart's from the magic numbers.



Michelle Stoddart supporting was a nice, unexpected surprise. I saw the magic numbers play at Glastonbury a few years ago and find them to be a fairly cute sort of a band.
Her family resemblance to her brother; both in looks, sound, and singing style are uncanny. That's not to say she's in anyone's shadow though. I always thought her basslines were pretty good, but upon witnessing her guitar playing, I'd say she was very also fairly competent in this area also and could quite easily kick her brother off guitar if she so desired.



The Villagers were excellent. We were introduced to them a few months ago through seeing their support slot for elbow at Newcastle Arena. I purchased their album, 'Becoming a Jackal' on the same evening. (Something I rarely do. Part with money for a full priced cd upon hearing a band live on first listen - that is.) They reminded me at the time of several other artists. I heard elements of muse, (mainly in the piano-led opener 'I saw the dead') damien rice, mumford and sons and even hints of arcade fire. Upon seeing them a second time round what I think is particularly impressive is the way their songs are instantly accessible upon first listen and recognisable upon second listen. For example, when supporting Elbow at Newcastle arena, Conor J O' Brian played a song called 'memoir' acoustically. This song did not feature on the album, but when they played it again as a full band at the riverside, I found myself humming along even though I'd only heard it once and months earlier. I have also come to the conclusion that they might actually be better live. I have so far referred to the villagers as 'they' collectively, but from the album liner notes it becomes evident that the 'band' are more like session musicians to Conor J O Brian's (front man) compositions. All the songs on the album are written and performed by himself alone. This is by no means a bad thing and I would hardly say that the album is 'lacking' in any way, however i think that as a band they manage to create something more raw and more complimentary to what can be heard on the album. A certain energy and atmosphere which can only really be achieved by a live band playing together. I think the villagers guitarist contributed largely to this. Armed with a large selection of pedals and effects, he added hints of Jonny Greenwood to O'Brian's songs. I wouldn't mind hearing something recorded by the whole band at some point...
The audience at this gig were super polite and respectful. Verging on shy even. The first song on the set featured O Brian singing a verse completely acapella before joining with some very lightly touched guitar accompaniment. It was so quiet that I actually felt self conscious over needing to shuffle my feet!



Oh and by the way... if we look a little bored on these photo's I should explain that we're actually mesmerised.













No comments:

Post a Comment